[mythtv-users] Is cable going widescreen?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Aug 25 19:57:23 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:47:41PM -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> >  But after feb of next year, will those 4:3 channels even exist?
> >  I know that if I was doing just OTA, then with a converter box,
> >  the answer would be yes, only widescreen, leaving black bars above
> >  and below the picturebut what about cable? They have not mentioned
> >  anything in their ads except that you'll be just fine with cable.
>
>    Digital != 16:9

It doesn't, but that doesn't entirely answer his question, either.

And I don't think there *is* an answer that derives from anything else.

I think whether each program source continues to send 4:3, or at least
protect for 4:3, is going to be up to them, and we won't find out until
they do it.

I would hope that converters would do P&S in addition to LB; I don't
much like it but other people will scream.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Josef Stalin)