[mythtv-users] Is cable going widescreen?

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Mon Aug 25 22:50:04 UTC 2008

* Steve Peters - Priority Electronics <steve at priorityelectronics.com> [2008 Aug 25 12:59 -0500]:

> Why would OTA with a converter box switch to widescreen only?
>

> Maybe not widescreen "only" (you could tell your converbox to stretch the
> picture to fill, or zoom perhaps, etc), but the signal will be a 16:9
> signal. For cable, digital does not mean 16:9, as digital cable channels are
> mostly 4:3, but HD does mean 16:9...i've yet to see an hd channel broadcast
> in 4:3.
>
> Since the locals will all be going HD, will they still be sending out that
> 4:3 signal for the cable providers?...that's my question.

As I understand it, the broadcasters use a variety of resolutions from
SD 720x480 4:3 to 1920x1080 16:9.  As not all programming is in one
format or another, the broadcast will be in the program's native
format.  The viewer will control whether screen stretching takes place
or vertical bars are present on an HD set.  Am I wrong?

- Nate >>