[mythtv-users] Is cable going widescreen?

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Mon Aug 25 23:05:21 UTC 2008

>As I understand it, the broadcasters use a variety of resolutions from
>SD 720x480 4:3 to 1920x1080 16:9.  As not all programming is in one
>format or another, the broadcast will be in the program's native
>format.  The viewer will control whether screen stretching takes place
>or vertical bars are present on an HD set.  Am I wrong?
>
>- Nate >>
>
>--

My dad's setup is a 4:3 hd tv, and when he watches something old, like I
Love Lucy on the Fox HD OTA channel, he has black bars above the image (as
is normal to most of the hd shows), but also to the left and right of the
image. Kinda sucks really. I never understood why they didn't just send the
signal out in 4:3. Commercials on that channel often show up as the 16:9
ratio and fill to the left and right.

-Steve