[mythtv-users] Is cable going widescreen?

Russ Dill russ.dill at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 02:32:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
<steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:
> When the digital cutoff comes in feb of next year…I'm kinda curious about
> the standard over the air channels that cable companies carry.
>
> Will they be going widescreen on me?
>
> Right now, I can have a 4:3 tv and watch the 4:3 local channels from my
> cable company, as oppossed to the 16:9 hd locals.
>
> But after feb of next year, will those 4:3 channels even exist? I know that
> if I was doing just OTA, then with a converter box, the answer would be yes,
> only widescreen, leaving black bars above and below the picture…but what
> about cable? They have not mentioned anything in their ads except that
> you'll be just fine with cable.

My favorite was when I was getting a tv program over analog cable, the
show was in 16x9, so there were black bars on the top and bottom.
Commercials came on, commercials that were not part of the show were
ok, but then a couple came on that were some how part of the show, so
were transmitted the same way as the show, 16x9. There were 4x3, so
they got another set of black bars. Then, one of the 4x3 commercials
had a preview for something in 16x9...epic fail.