[mythtv-users] Myth autoexpiring brand new shows

Jonny B jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 07:31:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 11:31 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 08/26/2008 02:10 AM, Enigma wrote:
>
>>  Kevin wrote:
>>
>> > I think a good question to answer is why, within the space of 30
>> > minutes, is enough disk space being taken up on that drive that you
>> > are bumping against the 22GB reserve 4 times (roughly once every
>> > ten minutes).
>>
>>  Obviously, because there are recordings happening.
>>
>> > MythTV will show you what it is considering for auto-expiration and
>> > in what order on the System Status screen in the Frontend.
>>
>>  If you read my original post, I mention that there are hundreds of
>>  items on the auto-expire list that precede the recordings in
>>  question.  My auto expire is set to only consider age.  My issue is
>>  that they are not being expired in this order.
>
> They sure are.  You're forgetting about the fact that the "hundreds" of
> items on the auto-expire list that precede the recordings in question
> are on other filesystems (where deleting them would be a waste, as it
> would mean hundreds of recordings must be deleted before a deletion
> actually makes space available for the new recording).  If you would
> prefer that Myth deletes all of those, too, let me know and I'll make a
> patch specifically for you.

This is somewhat trite, isn't it? He clearly stated that the Recording
Groups are not working 'as advertised.' It was my impression that when
you added 2 or 3 filesystems to a storage group, it would ensure that
it recorded to the filesystem with the most free space  (within that
group) regardless of local/remote filesystem. Therefore, those
hundreds of items might *not* be on the filesystem in question, but if
they are in the same recording group, then shouldn't they have expired
to make space? More importantly though, shouldn't the recording have
defaulted to the filesystem that is clearly huge and empty (within the
same group)?

>> > Also, if you don't want stuff to expire, don't mark it for
>> > expiration.
>>
>>  Surely you can see the difference between wanting my oldest programs
>>  to expire and having recent programs expire instead.  I never said I
>>  didn't want these programs to expire, I just don't want them to
>>  expire before their time.  Your remark adds nothing to the
>>  conversation and is counter-productive.
>

> Surely you would prefer to figure it out for yourself than get help from
> knowledgeable people on the list--at least that's the only reason I can
> think of for you to insult a person who was trying to help (and, who
> happens to be a MythTV dev who knows MythTV very well).

I have lots of things I don't want to expire the next day, but don't
intend to keep for months. Should I also not set these to expire? I
was again, under the impression, that mythtv was supposed to be
intelligent enough to know, "I have these three filesystems in my
recording group A, and this show is set to be recorded in group A.
Local filesystems 1 and 2 are both full, so lets try remote filesystem
1. Look, there's room. I guess I don't need to expire anything!" If
this is not how it works, then it needs to be documented better, and
developers need to stop telling people that's how it works.

I, of course, also don't see how stating that a remark is
counter-productive and adds nothing to the conversation would be
considered an insult.

> But, in case I'm wrong about your wanting to figure it out for yourself,
> I'll mention that one potential approach for "fixing" this issue was
> provided in this thread and it all comes down to a misconfiguration of
> your system.

And I must have missed that potential approach... unless of course it
was to set things to not expire, in which case, I don't feel that is a
solution at all.

~Jon