[mythtv-users] Myth autoexpiring brand new shows

Dean Harding dean.harding at dload.com.au
Tue Aug 26 07:47:02 UTC 2008

Jonny B wrote:
> This is somewhat trite, isn't it? He clearly stated that the Recording
> Groups are not working 'as advertised.' It was my impression that when
> you added 2 or 3 filesystems to a storage group, it would ensure that
> it recorded to the filesystem with the most free space  (within that
> group) regardless of local/remote filesystem. Therefore, those
> hundreds of items might *not* be on the filesystem in question, but if
> they are in the same recording group, then shouldn't they have expired
> to make space? More importantly though, shouldn't the recording have
> defaulted to the filesystem that is clearly huge and empty (within the
> same group)?

I think this is a case where the default settings are never going to be
able to please everybody. People asked, during the development of
storage groups, to make it so that remote filesystems are chosen as a
"last resort" -- only if the local filesystems fill up.

Clearly, there are people who want it to work the other way: filesystems
 to be given an equal weighting regardless of whether they're local or
remote.

So there's no one setting that will please both groups of people...

As I said before, I've only read the
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Storage_Groups_Weighting page in
the wiki, but from what I understand of that page, if you set the
initial weighting to be the same for local vs. remote (i.e. set
SGweightLocalStarting to 0) then it should work as you describe.

I would agree that a "Prefer local filesystems over remote filesystems"
option in the settings page might be a good idea (which just controls
the SGweightLocalStarting setting). Heck, such an option may already
exist, as I said, I've never looked into it.

Dean.