[mythtv-users] Myth autoexpiring brand new shows

Jonny B jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 08:05:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 12:47 AM, Dean Harding
<dean.harding at dload.com.au> wrote:
> Jonny B wrote:
>> This is somewhat trite, isn't it? He clearly stated that the Recording
>> Groups are not working 'as advertised.' It was my impression that when
>> you added 2 or 3 filesystems to a storage group, it would ensure that
>> it recorded to the filesystem with the most free space  (within that
>> group) regardless of local/remote filesystem. Therefore, those
>> hundreds of items might *not* be on the filesystem in question, but if
>> they are in the same recording group, then shouldn't they have expired
>> to make space? More importantly though, shouldn't the recording have
>> defaulted to the filesystem that is clearly huge and empty (within the
>> same group)?
>
> I think this is a case where the default settings are never going to be
> able to please everybody. People asked, during the development of
> storage groups, to make it so that remote filesystems are chosen as a
> "last resort" -- only if the local filesystems fill up.

I understand that. That's fine. But. When the local filesystems fill
up. Shouldn't the storage groups function use the remote filesystem
BEFORE deleting *ehem* expiring shows on the local filesystems? This
is just a logical conclusion on my behalf.

> Clearly, there are people who want it to work the other way: filesystems
>  to be given an equal weighting regardless of whether they're local or
> remote.

That's not specifically what I'm saying. I don't care which filesystem
it picks first so much as I care that it uses my ENTIRE recording
group before it starts erasing recordings that I may or may not be
ready to have erased. If I've ensured that my recording group has 1tb
free, it shouldn't matter if it's local, remote, or both. It shold use
that entire (up to whatever limit I've set) group before it starts
expiring stuff.

> So there's no one setting that will please both groups of people...

I think my above suggestion would go a long way towards doing such.

> As I said before, I've only read the
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Storage_Groups_Weighting page in
> the wiki, but from what I understand of that page, if you set the
> initial weighting to be the same for local vs. remote (i.e. set
> SGweightLocalStarting to 0) then it should work as you describe.

Well, according the that link, once the local filesystem fills up, it
should go to the remote filesystem anyway, before expiring shows on
the local filesystem. Unless I read it wrong (happens). This, it
appears (at least in Enigmas case), is not happening.

So then the question becomes - how do you make it prefer the local
filesystem (which it does) unless it's full and then start using the
remote filesystem instead of deleting stuff? This is going to be
especially important to me, as I intend to add some 500gb drives to a
fileserver in a few weeks, and they are not going to be local to my
master myth box, which currently has only a single 200gb drive for
recordings.

~Jon