[mythtv-users] Lost Drive!

Jonny B jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 08:30:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Monkey Pet <monkeypet at gmail.com> wrote:
> I lost a drive that was part of a lvm.  Not sure what the best
> approach to "fixing" the problem is.  The drive is still accessible,
> but it gets "stuck" with loud clicking sounds when accessing some
> files.

This sounds like bad sectors. Maybe try spinrite (www.grc.com) which
has saved several hard drives from a premature death, or at least
recovered them long enough to get vital data off, for me several times
in the past. (note: the data was almost ALWAYS my mothers hard drive,
which crashed because, of course, she had no backups, and if I didn't
save it she would lose years of pictures, emails, etc... she still
doesn't back stuff up :-\ )

> I thought of:
> a) Cutting it loose.  Since it is the last segment of a lvm, just
> truncate the ext filesystem (resize2fs)  and hope for the best, then
> remove it from the LVM.
> b) Clone the drive, then the clone it into the lvm again.  However, I
> don't know how to drop the clone back into the LVM.  I guess I would
> just dd (clone) the drive onto another drive and drop the clone into
> the logical volume after removing the old faulty one.
> c) Buy a new drive and copy the entire filesystem off the logical
> volume or as much as I can before the drive really dies.  Finishing my
> migration off LVM for good.
>
> Anyone have experience with this and can offer some advice?

how about d) set up multiple new (tiger direct has 500gb sata300
drives for under $70 in maxtor and hitachi, and western digital for
under $80)  drives in a software raid array, and copy the LVM
filesystem to the array, then scrapping LVM altogether? I would
suggest either that, or a or c. I have no experience with b.

~Jon