[mythtv-users] Myth very slow to change channels.... (DVB-T)

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at optusnet.com.au
Tue Aug 26 10:39:22 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 09:40:59 Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> Oh, thank goodness. It's been ages since we've had this thread. Let
> the games begin....

Oh! oh! I got an idea! - why don't we dedicate a tuner to the LiveTV player!

::ducks and runs::

But seriously - JY, the reason channel changes are so slow is that the LiveTV
plugin is basically a frontend to the recording service - viewing channel live
actually schedules a recording via mythbackend for that channel and that time,
which involves tuning a tuner and buffering at least 2 seconds of airtime.
Changing channels repeats the whole process.

This is because LiveTV is almost a afterthought - mythtv is primarily a
scheduling/recording/playback service and this isn't going to change.

Cheers,

--
Lindsay Mathieson
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~blackpaw1/album