[mythtv-users] ho do I create world clock plugin?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Aug 26 12:28:06 UTC 2008

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>

>> I have no idea how/why you would want to do this with myth....  Seems
>> like using a jet plane to go to the grocery store.
>>

> Maybe he has kids or friends or business in different timezones and
> wants to be able to quickly flick to a page on the TV with the
> timezones displayed.

I don't question the utility of it, just the wisdom of trying to do it
in myth....

>> But if you can run mythbrowser I can send you a PHP snippet I wrote for
>> wordpress that uses timeanddate.com - you need to run a web server to
>> use it, though.
>>
>> See "Our Time" in the right sidebar at http://www.seiner.com on how it
>> works.
>>

> something that fits into the myth system, ie a plugin, would be nicer.
> A simple system to creat plugins using something like python instead
> of C++ would be great!

I went through a lot of those gyrations when I wrote (hacked would be a
better word) my time plugin for wordpress.   Most world clock websites
have ToU that prohibit anonymous use.  Also, time is a political entity;
I prefer to have someone else track which city is in which timezone.

Anyway, I ended up doing  it the way I did because it was the most
painless and provided click-through to additional information.  No
reason why it couldn't be implemented in C / C++ especially with qt
providing http.

--Yan

--
  o__

"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'"
--Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation