[mythtv-users] Mythtv backend segfaults every few days

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 26 18:12:36 UTC 2008

On 08/26/2008 05:11 AM, Edmund wrote:
> I have been running mythtv backend (0.21) on a debian Etch box with
> backports 2.6.24-1-amd-64 and it is mostly working how I want it but
> every so often the backend dies. It shows up in the syslog as a segfault.
>
> I understand that I have to compile the backend with
> --compile-type=debug as an option and run with gdb to get more
> information but I am unsure about this.
>
> Do I need to do an apt-get remove first? And if I do that what is the
> best way of preserving all my settings and program information and
> channel tunings? I only have DVB-T cards and setting them up took quite
> a while.

First, by replying to a message buried deep within another thread, your
message has been stacked at such a low level that few people will
actually read it.  Please always start a thread with a right-click,
"Compose new e-mail to..." kind of approach (or just hit new message and
copy/paste /only/ the address to the new message).

Second, your packager may make available a debug symbol package.  If so,
there's no need to recompile (and, really, you're better off not
recompiling).  Check your distro's wiki/forum/mailing list/IRC
channel/... for help.

Mike