[mythtv-users] Myth autoexpiring brand new shows

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 26 18:27:03 UTC 2008

On 08/26/2008 04:05 AM, Jonny B wrote:
> So then the question becomes - how do you make it prefer the local
> filesystem (which it does) unless it's full and then start using the
> remote filesystem instead of deleting stuff? This is going to be
> especially important to me, as I intend to add some 500gb drives to a
> fileserver in a few weeks, and they are not going to be local to my
> master myth box, which currently has only a single 200gb drive for
> recordings.

cp/rm (no, not Content Protection for Recordable Media) or plain old mv

Wait, you mean it's not automatic...  I guess someone should write a
script which can be executed either through a user job or through cron
and call it myth_archive_job.pl .

Note, also, that Chris Pinkham (author of Storage Groups) has said
/many/ times that he had originally planned to write code to
automatically balance filesystem usage across discs (and allow users to
decide to move recordings from one storage group to another or from one
SG directory to another through the GUI), but once he completed the
initial storage groups code, it worked so well that he found that he had
no need for the additional code (plus he's been very busy with other
non-Myth stuff in his life), so he never coded it.  He also explained
how easy it would be for someone to write this code and gave pointers.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/297293#297293 among them.

Mike