[mythtv-users] frontend duing whist watching live tv leaves tuner on backend locked

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Aug 26 19:09:29 UTC 2008

On Aug 26, 2008, at 11:51 AM, John Taylor wrote:

> As it says in the subject line, if my diskless frontend crashes whilst
> watching live tv off the remote backend (which has 3 tuners- 2 nova-t
> and 1 nova-s) and requires powercycling then I find the tuner locked
> in the backend to that frontend. The frontend and the backend are then
> reduced to only being able to use the 2 free tuners.
>
> I can't change the filter to livetv and then delete what's being
> recorded from either the backend, the same frontend, mythweb or
> another frontend, nor can I find a way of using that tuner again
> unless myth-backend is restarted.
>
> This is a problem for WAF as she often leaves the machine playing live
> tv and turns the tv off and goes to bed.

My kids were so upset about the frontend crashing when they left
LiveTV on that they stopped doing it. :) I even programmed my Harmony
Remote's power button to bring MythTV back to the main menu as well as
turning off the TV/receiver so they don't even have to think about it
any more.

The real answer is to figure out why your frontend is crashing. It
shouldn't.

The work-around is a secret setting (there is no UI for it - you have
to set it in the database manually) that will exit LiveTV after x
minutes. It's so secret that I couldn't find it in the 2 minutes I was
willing to investigate the feature I don't use. You might have better
luck. :)

> Am I missing something? Does the backend not check the frontend is
> still alive?

Correct. It doesn't continuously check to see if the frontend is still
connected.