[mythtv-users] Recording stopped 1 hour early but log says it didn't?

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Tue Aug 26 20:54:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Allen Edwards wrote:
>> Recording 7am to 9:05.  Mythbackend.log shows recording started
>> 6:59:31 and finished at 9:05.  Mythweb shows it as 2 hours 5 min.
>> Problem is that it is only 1:06:35 long, which you can see when you
>> pause the show, and which my wife kindly pointed out when the show
>> quit on her.
>>
>> The filesize at 6.7GB and 6.1GB/hr agrees with a show of 1:05.
>> Mythbackend.log shows the show started at 6:59:31 and stopped at 9:05,
>> like it should but it actually had stopped being written to the disk
>> an hour before.  Mythfrontend.log shows she started watching at 8:44
>> so the damage was already done.  Nothing at all in the frontend log
>> between the start of the show and 8:44.  mysql.log shows updates to
>> the show length until it hit the 6.7GB final size that corresponds to
>> 1:05 length.  Here are the last two log entries for this show in
>> mysql.log
>>                      40 Query       UPDATE recorded SET filesize =
>> '7245844676' WHERE chanid = '1071' AND starttime =
>> '2008-08-26T07:00:00'
>> 080826  8:14:36      40 Query       DELETE FROM inuseprograms WHERE
>> chanid = '1071' AND starttime = '2008-08-26T07:00:00' AND hostname =
>> 'myth_desktop' AND r
>> ecusage = 'recorder'
>>
>> I don't understand the inuseprograms entry but there are several as
>> the show goes on so I take it it is not unusual.  The filesize is the
>> final filesize for 1:05 length.
>>
>> Anyone have a clue what happened?   This on top of the KQED problem
>> isn't going over very well.  If this kind of thing keeps happening, I
>> may end up back with Dish Networks and no mythtv.
>>
>> Allen
>
> A wild guess.
>
> Do you have more than 1 machine (ie one is the backend, and one has tuners in it)?
>
> If so, if the clocks on the 2 machines are off then things get ugly, the backend
> seems to tell the other machine when to start the recording, but the tuner
> machine determines when to stop based on the time, so if the tuner machine is an
> hour ahead of the backend, the backend will start it on time, but the tuner
> machine will quit an hour early since it thinks that it is done.   This also
> happens with much smaller times when the time differs between the machines.
>
> Check "date" on both machines and make sure things match.
>
>                                Roger

Thanks for the reply.

I have two machines.  One is a standalone, the other a frontend only,
although the frontend used to be a standalone and used to have a tuner
that is somehow showing up in the present standalone database (see
another post).  That aside, both had clocks so close them must be
synced to some external time standard.

Also, the frontend machine was power off until 8:30 this morning,
which is past when the backend stopped the recording.

Allen