[mythtv-users] frontend duing whist watching live tv leaves tuner on backend locked

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Aug 26 21:18:56 UTC 2008

On Aug 26, 2008, at 2:09 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:

> On 26/08/2008, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 26, 2008, at 11:51 AM, John Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> As it says in the subject line, if my diskless frontend crashes
>>> whilst
>>
>> The real answer is to figure out why your frontend is crashing. It
>> shouldn't.
>
> IMO the solution is to have mythbackend poll connected mythfrontends
> to make sure i) they are still connected, and ii) still watching
> LiveTV. The issue of inputs being tied up by 'ghost' LiveTV sessions
> has come up several times over the years. I am not sure whether both
> of these checks are currently implemented, but I would guess the
> second check may not be.

No, it's not implemented which is why people are still having issues.
Yes, it probably should be. I was explaining the current implemented
solution. I wasn't going to suggest that he code some new
functionality to solve his problem.

> I haven't tested this, but if the remote frontend was power cycled
> whilst watching LiveTV, (rather than crashing) would the tuner still
> be tied up and require a mythbackend restart?

You mean to unexpectedly cut the power to your machine? How would that
be different from a crash?
If you mean to properly shut down the frontend and restart the
machine, then yes.. it would disconnect correctly and would not
require the backend to restart.

-Brad