[mythtv-users] Myth autoexpiring brand new shows

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Aug 26 21:28:24 UTC 2008

On Aug 26, 2008, at 2:06 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> A bunch of stuff that is true

However... I still like the fact that myth chooses to record to local
drives before resorting to network attached drives. It makes sense to
me to keep the files local if possible and then start flooding my
network bandwidth if necessary.

I recently started wondering why my new 1TB drive wasn't full but I
was still expiring programs from my 2 750GB drives (all local) until I
realized that when 2 programs were recording at the same time, it was
preferring my 1TB drive with lots of space, but then put the second
recording on another drive to help balance the load of the drives that
were recording. Then I thought, "Wow, this makes a lot of sense.
Thanks for not thrashing that one drive with a potential 6 recordings
and instead spreading it across available disks."

I also like the fact that you can simply mv /localdrive/recording.mpg /
remotedrive/recording.mpg to manually balance out the recordings and
the storage groups functionality will magically find wherever the
recording ended up.

Of course, now all my drives are full (with my assigned 25GB each set
aside for other stuff like transcoding/ripping DVDs/adding music) and
it effectively balances everything out quite nicely.

-Brad