[mythtv-users] frontend duing whist watching live tv leaves tuner on backend locked

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 21:29:33 UTC 2008

On 26/08/2008, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

>  On Aug 26, 2008, at 2:09 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
>
>  > On 26/08/2008, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>  >> On Aug 26, 2008, at 11:51 AM, John Taylor wrote:
>  >>
>  >>> As it says in the subject line, if my diskless frontend crashes
>  >>> whilst
>  >>

> >> The real answer is to figure out why your frontend is crashing. It
>  >> shouldn't.
>  >
>  > IMO the solution is to have mythbackend poll connected mythfrontends
>  > to make sure i) they are still connected, and ii) still watching
>  > LiveTV. The issue of inputs being tied up by 'ghost' LiveTV sessions
>  > has come up several times over the years. I am not sure whether both
>  > of these checks are currently implemented, but I would guess the
>  > second check may not be.
>

> No, it's not implemented which is why people are still having issues.
>  Yes, it probably should be. I was explaining the current implemented
>  solution. I wasn't going to suggest that he code some new
>  functionality to solve his problem.

I wasn't suggesting the OP code the solution, but trying to define a
solution that would work whether or not mythfrontend crashes - hence
the power cycling question.

>  > I haven't tested this, but if the remote frontend was power cycled
>  > whilst watching LiveTV, (rather than crashing) would the tuner still
>  > be tied up and require a mythbackend restart?
>

> You mean to unexpectedly cut the power to your machine? How would that
>  be different from a crash?

If mythfrontend is behaving itself, then it is very different, as the
user does not have control over it. mythbackend should really be
self-healing and be able to recover gracefully from such events
without requiring a restart.

Nick

--
Nick Morrott