[mythtv-users] Myth autoexpiring brand new shows

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Aug 26 21:38:29 UTC 2008

Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> says:
> I personally would not want remote storage equally weighted with
> local because of the potential I/O issues with network recordings,
> commflagging, and the like.  The previously mentioned database
> setting laid out in the wiki from the original coder does provide
> the advanced user this means of making his/her system weigh local
> and remote identically so that a tie situation does occur in which
> case free space will be the determining factor.
>
> Seems to me that Myth, once again, has set reasonable defaults for
> the average system and provides a way for advanced users to tweak it
> to their liking.

I am pleased that the requisite setting are available for tweaking. I
very much disagree that the default weighting is "reasonable . . . for
the average system," for the reasons I laid out in my previous
message.

An advanced user who is concerned about remote I/O issues should have
the onus of tweaking things so that programs are expired in a way that
contradicts the AutoExpire List. Not the "average" MythTV user who
knows enough to set up an NFS or Samba mount or two and then is
mystified, as the original poster was, that the AutoExpire list and
the priorities he has carefully set for his recordings aren't being
followed.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array