[mythtv-users] Myth autoexpiring brand new shows

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 26 21:42:22 UTC 2008

On 08/26/2008 05:36 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:
> If you have two drives in the same storage group, why do you want to
> leave an empty one empty and delete files on a full one?

Because your network/NAS may not be up to the task of handling all the
I/O required for a new recording (i.e. writing the recording, reading
the recording for mythcommflag or whatever--and note that the kernel's
buffers won't help for this because you'll be at least 8 minutes behind
the recording after initial logo detection).

> I am having a hard time understanding why anyone would want that to
> happen.  I mean, if I set the drives up in the same storage group, why
> is it an advantage to me as a user to effectively not use the drive,
> which is what I read would happen...
>
> That said, the obvious solution is for the original party to buy a 1T
> drive and put it in the myth locally.

Or use cp/rm or mv to move the files to the remote storage and fill it
up.  Or use myth_archive_job.pl.

(Just restating this approach, which, IMHO, is much prettier than the SG
weighting approach that was previously mentioned as one possible
solution, so it doesn't get buried in all the other garbage in the thread.)

Mike