[mythtv-users] Myth autoexpiring brand new shows

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Aug 26 23:06:39 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> says:
> However... I still like the fact that myth chooses to record to local
> drives before resorting to network attached drives. It makes sense to
> me to keep the files local if possible and then start flooding my
> network bandwidth if necessary.

I completely agree that local drives should have priority over remote
drives. But *not if that means expiring local recordings even if
there's free space on a remote drive*. Not by default, at least. It
defeats the whole stated raison d'etre behind storage groups.

> I also like the fact that you can simply mv
> /localdrive/recording.mpg / remotedrive/recording.mpg to manually
> balance out the recordings and the storage groups functionality will
> magically find wherever the recording ended up.

Agreed. I don't want directories hard set into the database records
for each recordings.

> Of course, now all my drives are full (with my assigned 25GB each
> set aside for other stuff like transcoding/ripping DVDs/adding
> music) and it effectively balances everything out quite nicely.

But it doesn't! That's the whole point of the thread.

Let's say that you have 25GB free each on a local drive and a remote
drive; i.e., both drives are full from the MythTV perspective. You
know that in the next day three recordings totaling 40GB will
occur. The AutoExpire list says that 30GB of recordings are in the
Deleted group, and another 30GB are prioritized as being deleted first
which you're fine with. Everything's OK, right?

Not if, as is entirely possible, all 60GB are on the remote drive. By
default, MythTV will delete 40GB worth of recordings on the local
drive, disregarding the "deletable" recordings on the remote drive. To
quote that well known Linux-usability expert Seth Cohen of Newport
Beach CA, that's ridonkulous.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array