[mythtv-users] Network storage fault tolerance (was Re: Myth autoexpiring brand new shows)

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 00:13:12 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2008, at 3:24 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Speaking of which, does anyone know of a way to make NFS tolerant of
>> the
>> NFS server's going down so that it will automatically unmount/remount
>> the filesystems?
>
> Unfortunately, the company I used to work for did it as a cron job to
> see if a touched file was present in the path. If not, try to remount
> 10 times. If not, try again in 5 minutes.

That is unfortunate, using hard,intr things almost always recover automatically.

The only case I have ever had to automatically umount/remount nfs filesystems
was when (for an unknown reason) that the mount went stale or got a certain
class of really weird error (both detectable from messages in the messages)
every so often on some of the many machines there were using it.

                          Roger