[mythtv-users] Mythtv automatically going to a source

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 27 01:56:52 UTC 2008

On 08/26/2008 09:34 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> BTW, when I ran the restore script (not telling it which backup to
> use) the documentation states that it will use the latest backup
> available.
> It didn't. It used the oldest back.
>
> I keep 5 days worth of backup, I had Thursday 21st, Friday 22nd,
> Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. After the restore the latest
> recording it would show was data of last Thursday...
>
> I deleted the mysql database and re-ran the restore script, this time
> telling it what backup to use and it worked.

It uses the newest backup based on the filename, where potential files
are assumed to start with the database name (this assumption is only
made when no filename is specified, so it's not as bad an assumption as
it first seems).  So, mythconverg-20080826* or mythconverg-2008_08_26*
are good, but mythconverg-Aug_26_2008* or mythconverg-08262008 or
mythconverg-26082008 are not.

Or, put another way, it uses the newest backup if you're using backups
created by the backup script and don't specify a filename for the backups.

Perhaps I should make that more clear in the --help (the "based on the
filename" may not be as clear as I thought it was).

So, what were your filenames?  Does what I mentioned above explain why
it chose the one it did?  If not, there may be localization/character
encoding issues or something, and I'll need more info to fix it.

Oh, and out of curiosity, to which documentation were you referring, the
--help output or the wiki page (which, in my attempt to be concise, may
not have even included the "based on the filename" part)?

Thanks for testing and for the feedback.

Mike