[mythtv-users] Intel G45 chipset (was Re: SilverStone ML02-MX iMon LCD + PAD)

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Aug 27 02:42:33 UTC 2008

> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:57:09 +1000
> From: "Ryan Stuart" <ryan at stuart.id.au>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] SilverStone ML02-MX iMon LCD + PAD
> > (My most recent upgrade has
> > not been particularly smooth.  I think I got too close to the
> > bleeding edge with the Intel G45 chipset, but I digress.)
> >

> Mind elaborating on those G45 problems? A family member of mine is about to
> try and build a myth box with this chipset. What kernel and myth version are
> you using?

I got a Gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2H motherboard, which uses a G45 chipset.

On the video side of things, the driver just doesn't seem to be "there"
quite yet.  I'm using Debian unstable and filed bug #494441 for the
issue.

I can't get the driver to reliably output a resolution that my TV will accept.
The only times I have gotten it to work, it lockups up after a few seconds.
The "vesa" driver works fine, but is completely unaccelerated.  This is what
I'm using at the moment.

The network adapter on the board was very flaky.  If it worked on boot it
would keep working, but that would only happen about 40% of the time.
I found a patch on the linux kernel mailing list which fixed the problem.

My PATA DVD drive isn't usable.  I can see the drive in /proc/scsi/scsi
and /dev/scd0 exists and I can use "cdeject" to pop the tray open, but
the drive refuses to recognize that it has any media in it.  The same
drive was working fine before I replaced the motherboard.

Audio mostly works, but sound from some DVD rips in mplayer periodically
become garbled.  Backing up a few seconds and allowing mplayer to continue
fixes the problem for a few minutes until it happens again.

Of course, I'm running the 2.6.26 kernel (with patched network driver),
since anything less won't have the right drivers.

The problems I'm having with firewire capture, A/V sync when playing
back with mvpmc, periodic NFS hangs with another server I'm using
to boost storage space, and constantly changing channel frequencies
with the HD HomeRun aren't really related to the G45 board so I
won't mention them here.

Eric