[mythtv-users] storage pools

Janne Grunau janne-mythtv at grunau.be
Wed Aug 27 11:07:59 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 27 August 2008 09:51:40 Paul wrote:
> I'm migrating my current single directory setup to multiple
> directories on multiple drives, I just want to be clear how this
> works
>
> I'm using the default : /video/store
> and I've created a /video/store
> Once I've done this change directories and move files to this new
> directories structure
>
> stage 1 add 2nd storage group

you probably don't want to add a storage group but add another directory
to the existing storage group.

> stage 2 create new mount points and copy files..
>
> /video/store -> /video/recordings/store1
> /video/store -> /video/recordings/store2

It is recommend not to use the mount point directly as storage dir but a
directory from the mounted file system. MythTV won't use that directory
if the file system isn't mounted since the path is invalid.
If you use the mount point directly mythtv would write to the
underlaying file system which is in most cases not desired behaviour.

Using /video/store[12] as mount points and creating on each a directory
recordings makes more sense.

> Will this cause any problems moving files ?
> ie other than storage group there is no reference to directory or
> device name correct?

As long as the directories are in the same storage group mythtv would
find them. I'm not sure if it searches also the other storage groups.

Janne