[mythtv-users] Playback of recordings end prematurely

Julian Cerruti jcerruti at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 12:10:28 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I wonder if someone could give me some advice on how to go about resolving
this issue.

For a long while (I don't know when this started, probably about a year ago)
all the recordings from shows end earlier than their real length when played
from the mythTV "watch recordings" page. For example, when I record a
program of 30 minutes length, playback shows a duration of 23:47. I noticed
that the recording is indeed longer than that, for example, by playing back
the .mpg file externally using mplayer. Also, depending on how playback is
configured in mythTV, it would continue playing past 23:47, only the
progress counter would stop moving (it remains in 23:47 of 23:47) and also
many navigation functions (FFWD, RWD) are lost. Also is commercial
auto-skip. In fact: I have a slight suspicion that in many cases, commercial
flagging is not worken as well as it could because of this.

A couple more details: I notice that the "end time" reported by the mythTV
player is suspiciously similar for similar length recordings. Something
like: 30 mins -> 23:47; 1hr -> 47:58; etc. Also, I verified the guide data
is reasonably OK (this time discrepancy doesn't seem to come from there). I
am currently running mythtv 0.21 from mythbuntu 8.04.1 out-of-the-box. I use
a Hauppauge 500 with ivtv 1.1.0. Only unusual setting is that because of my
location (Argentina) I'm using Pal-Nc and a custom-written XMLTV grabber.

Any advice on how to go about diagnosing this or tips to try to fix it would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Julian