[mythtv-users] Is cable going widescreen?

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Wed Aug 27 13:51:00 UTC 2008

> Well...I have a widescreen TV, so it doesn't affect me
> personally...but we're talking about broadcast TV here.  In these
> cases there won't _be_ any 4:3 version after February.

Broadcasters are only required to switch to digital broadcast in February.
As many others have said, going to digital is not the same as going 16:9 or
HD. Broadcasters can still broadcast a 4:3 SD digital signal if they want
to. Many will switch to HD and many already have because that is the way the
market is going, not because of any FCC requirement.