[mythtv-users] Is cable going widescreen?

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Wed Aug 27 15:05:46 UTC 2008

> So how are you seeing these two channels?  If the main channel is,
> say, 8, then 8.1 is HD and 8.2 is the same program in SD?  Why would
> they do that?  I haven't seen such behavior from any local stations
> here.

Every station does it differently.  The FCC will allow them to do
whatever they want.  They can send one high BW HDTV signal as the
standard was originally intended, or break it up into 4 SD channels.
Most in this area are sending one HD and 1 SD.  A couple add either a
second SD or some really narrow channel like a weather map or music.
When they have a SD sub channel, it may or may not be a rebroadcast of
the HD channel.  Point is, they can do anything they want and they do.

A converter box like the small Zenith 901 can be programmed to any
level of zoom or stretch on a per channel basis.  Myth has zoom but it
is not on a per channel basis or even an output basis.

I have myth set up for zoom full and just have to remember to set it
to off when I am using my projector.  It would be nice if myth could
detect which display I was using and set the zoom accordingly, but it
doesn't.

Allen