[mythtv-users] Is my JFS broken ?

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 15:56:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, John Drescher wrote:

> And when it gets kicked out of an array I run badblocks for a weekend on
> the drive and if it finds 1 single bad block I RMA the drive since modern
> hard drives should automatically remap bad sectors to good ones they have
> in reserve. If you see any bad sectors then something really bad is
> happening..

In my experience, no drive remaps bad sectors on reads, only on writes. This
kinda makes sense, since if you're writing to a block, you obviously don't
care what's (supposed to be) there and it's completely safe to remap.

Now, if they're failing to remap on write operations, they've probably run
out of spare blocks and are truly dead.

> John

Best Regards,
Alex.