[mythtv-users] X2 5000 enough to play HD?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Aug 27 17:34:49 UTC 2008

On Aug 27, 2008, at 10:24 AM, kanetse at gmail.com wrote:

> I have recently built myself a new MythTV system, which will
> eventually become a master backend/frontend.  However, for now, I'm
> testing it in frontend only mode.  I seem to be unable to play HD on
> it without either stuttering or severe audio-sync issues.
>
> The system is a:
>
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000
> Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (AMD 780G)
> 2 GB RAM
> CentOS 5.2
>
> MythTV-0.21 (from ATrpms)
>
> My config should be able to handle HDTV even without XvMC, right?

Coorect. Turn off xvmc and enjoy beautiful full quality playback and
full color OSD.
Also you might want to enable 2 processors in your playback profile so
frontend will use one and X will use the other if you are playing back
something that takes more than half a core.

There's a table on the wiki with processors and what they're able to
play back here (pay attention to the column that says "CPU w/o XvMC"
to know what to expect):
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC:Example_CPU_Savings

And one specifically for HD content here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/HD_Playback_Reports

-Brad