[mythtv-users] Can't play live TV from Motorola box, 0 size file.

Hesty P hestyp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 17:42:40 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I just decided to try out myth tv on my Fedora 9 and running into
weird issue. Here's my setup:
- Fedora 9 with all the updates.
- Mythtv (0.21.7) installed from livna.
- Using firewire to connect to Motorola DCT-6412.
- Checked firewire connection using test-mpeg2, everything is fine here.
- Got mythtvsetup and a trial account at schedules direct.
- Mythfilldatabase runs fine, channel infos are all there.
- If I try to watch live tv, I can see the channel info on the screen.
I can switch channel.
But there is no video at all.
After a few seconds, mythtv will report "Error was encountered while
viewing video".
I checked the directory where video is supposed to be, there are
several files with size 0.
Mythtv log says something like
"RingBuf(/home/hesty/Videos/LiveTV/1100_20080827021130.mpg):
Invalid file (fd -1) when opening
'/home/hesty/Videos/LiveTV/1100_20080827021130.mpg'"

Any idea what I did wrong?

Cheers,
Hesty