[mythtv-users] X2 5000 enough to play HD?

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 17:49:34 UTC 2008

2008/8/27 Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>

> On Aug 27, 2008, at 10:24 AM, kanetse at gmail.com wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > My config should be able to handle HDTV even without XvMC, right?
>
> Coorect. Turn off xvmc and enjoy beautiful full quality playback and
> full color OSD.

I'd second that.

> Also you might want to enable 2 processors in your playback profile so
> frontend will use one and X will use the other if you are playing back
> something that takes more than half a core.

Ditto to 2 processors, have a similar setup here.

Also, it might be worth trying libmpeg, I used to have an ATI card and found
libmpeg could play back HD quite smoothly. (although it was then being
downscaled as I have an SD tv, but hey ho.)

I've since moved to an nvidia card (for the same ATI driver related issues.)
and HD is quite choppy, but I think i'm using 'standard' insteadd of libmpeg
these days. It may also be the poor quality of signal I have on my 1 HD
channel. (Dont' have HD telly so haven't investigated much.)

This is with an X2 4200+ (I think, it's the 2.4GHz one.) so you should have
no problems.