[mythtv-users] Is my JFS broken ?

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 20:57:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Ian Clark wrote:

> 2008/8/27 John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>
>> If you see any bad sectors then something really bad is happening..
>
> Ironically, smart status on my root drive on my home server shows there's 11
> remapped sectors... and it's still going strong.... (although I do expect it
> to die any month now...)
>
> It maybe should be called notthatSMART

Naw, SMART is just exposing something that's been going on for years; drives
(including Iomega Zip discs) have come with spare blocks for at least a
decade now, and the drive electronics will remap as required on write. As
long as no manufacturer-specified threshold is reached and the drive isn't
operated sufficiently out-of-spec (heat, vibration, shock) to cause
immediate damage, you should still have a decent amount of life left. Nearly
all my drives have some reallocated blocks.

Now that John has clarified his original statement, I concur that usermode
should never see bad sectors on write.

> Hmm
> Ian

Best Regards,