[mythtv-users] X2 5000 enough to play HD?

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Wed Aug 27 22:44:25 UTC 2008

> This thread has me wondering...I was running an AMD 3800+ (perhaps even
> 3500+) running MythTV and having no problems with HDTV.  Furthermore, I
> recently realized I was only running the 386 kernel (not generic) which
> meant I was only using 1 core.
>
> I mention this since somebody reading this thread might think they need a
> fairly high end CPU to watch HDTV but my experience over the last 1.5 to 2
> years (with an NVIDIA GPU) is that you can get by with a relatively low
> end
> CPU in fact.

Note that these assertions do not apply to UK ITV, Norway DVB-T and New
Zealand DVB-T which all require at least 5600+ or Intel quad core to be
usable!

So far I've seen everyone assuming mpeg2 HD which my Via Epia 1.3G board
can do (Big Buck Bunny in 720p looks excellent even without XvMC)...

--
Robin Gilks