[mythtv-users] X2 5000 enough to play HD?

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 04:48:54 UTC 2008

2008/8/28 Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
> On 08/27/2008 08:34 PM, Owen Townend wrote:
>> The motherboard & chipset work great for me. It may just be a matter
>> of picking the right playback options to get the same results.
>
> I can guarantee in my case it's not a matter of MythTV playback settings
> that are causing the issue.
>
> Since many others are having good luck with the chipset, I'm thinking it
> must be some BIOS setting I need to flip.  (Speaking of which, thanks to
> the annoying OC crowd, I'm not sure I've properly disabled overclocking
> in my mobo's BIOS.)  But, I'll just update the BIOS and flip random
> switches in the BIOS and see what turns up.
>
> Having my network throughput drop from 10MB/sec to 4MB/sec after
> transferring some 50GiB of data is definitely a problem.  Since it
> happened with 4 different NIC's (each using a different NIC driver), it
> seems to indicate a problem with the mobo/chipset/BIOS settings.
>
> Mike

For interests sake I just copied 70GB from the box to my desktop using
rsync over ssh and it has held up ~14MB/s (~112Mbps). It's a little
slow as ssh CPU use is my bottleneck on my aging desktop but it worked
and is still going.
I'd be willing to go through bios options and settings etc to compare
notes if you'd like to.

As to my saa7134-alsa issue.. no luck using latest updates for 8.04
and latest pull from the linuxtv repo. Still getting errors on
modprobe. It's not in a stage where it 'just works' but it looks
hopeful[0].

cheers,
Owen.

footnotes: