[mythtv-users] X2 5000 enough to play HD?

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 05:59:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> Coorect. Turn off xvmc and enjoy beautiful full quality playback and
> full color OSD.
> Also you might want to enable 2 processors in your playback profile so
> frontend will use one and X will use the other if you are playing back
> something that takes more than half a core.
>
> There's a table on the wiki with processors and what they're able to
> play back here (pay attention to the column that says "CPU w/o XvMC"
> to know what to expect):
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC:Example_CPU_Savings
>
> And one specifically for HD content here:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/HD_Playback_Reports

Tried turning off XvMC; and although I did see a color OSD, the
problems (HD stuttering) were the same as with XvMC on - namely
stuttering in HD, and severe audio sync probls if skipping.  This is
pointing me to a problem somewhere outside of the video decoding; or
lack of CPU power.

I am going to try Catalyst 8.3 drivers next; and if that fails, I'm
going to move my backend recordings disks into this machine from my
old master backend.  If that still fails; I'm going to consider that
maybe kernel support for this chipset on Centos 5.2