[mythtv-users] Is my JFS broken ?

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 11:50:46 UTC 2008

2008/8/27 Alex Butcher <mythlist at assursys.co.uk>

> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Ian Clark wrote:
>
> > 2008/8/27 John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>
> >> If you see any bad sectors then something really bad is happening..
> >
> > Ironically, smart status on my root drive on my home server shows there's
> 11
> > remapped sectors... and it's still going strong.... (although I do expect
> it
> > to die any month now...)
> >
> > It maybe should be called notthatSMART
>
> Naw, SMART is just exposing something that's been going on for years;
> drives
> (including Iomega Zip discs) have come with spare blocks for at least a
> decade now, and the drive electronics will remap as required on write. As
> long as no manufacturer-specified threshold is reached and the drive isn't
> operated sufficiently out-of-spec (heat, vibration, shock) to cause
> immediate damage, you should still have a decent amount of life left.
> Nearly
> all my drives have some reallocated blocks.

All my data drives in my RAID are at 0, but that hd in particular is an old
160G IBM SATA I've had for years, but it's always been a bit funny since the
last PSU it was attached to died. It's also on 24/7 too.

I checked today too, and I'm now at 14 reallocated sectors. I'll continue to
use it until it dies though. (Hmm, it is the root drive on my server so
maybe I'll end up learning a valuable lesson about backups too.)

Heh, looking at the power on hours count it's been powered on for 798 days
so far, so it's had a good life!

Ian