[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu experiences?

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Thu Aug 28 18:57:27 UTC 2008

James Oltman wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net
> <mailto:nico at youplala.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 13:40 -0400, Josh White wrote:
>      > My advice is to always stick with what you know. Whenever you change
>      > distributions there is a learning curve that you might not be willing
>      > to put the time into and will lead the frustration.
>      >
>      > Seconded.  Never try anything new.
>
>     hmm... never upgrade if it works..
>
>     While I agree with the learning cuve comment, trying something new is
>     nearly always beneficial.
>
>     Now, moving your production system from one environment you know to an
>     environment you do not know is probably a bad idea.
>
>     I believe that Mythbuntu is providing what the OP is looking for.
>
>     But I would recommend to initially play with Mythbuntu on the side
>     first, and decide about the fate of the production system later.
>
>     The change will anyway involve time and efforts, as the 2 distributions
>     mentioned have quite big differences in the way they do things.
>
>     Nico
>

> I'm having issues with MythBuntu right now.  The MCC (MythTV Control
> Centre) is supposed to stop MythBackend before starting MCC.  It never
> does that correctly.  It seems to be trying to stop the service
> /usr/bin/mythbackend when the correct path is
> /etc/initd/mythtv-backend.  I'm also having difficulty with the storage
> directories.  I have the correct perms on the directories (cuz I can
> record things) but MythTV-Setup is saying that it can't write to those
> folders.  But, MythBuntu is awesome in that it recognized my PVR-x50
> devices, and my HDHR without problems.  I had to setup a DHCP server on
> my secondary NIC, but that was trivial.  It was also very easy to setup
> a frontend with my MCE remote.  All in all, it's a good OS.  Just needs
> a few more tweaks to make it perfect.

I recently added a Mythbuntu frontend box to my existing setup (combined
backend and frontend which runs on Gentoo).  I must say that I'm
extremely impressed with how easy it was to setup a frontend and get it
working with minimal fuss.

I have an MCE remote arriving soon for it - sounds like it will be just
as easy to get that working :-)

Robert.