[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu experiences?

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Thu Aug 28 20:04:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 19:57 +0100, Robert wrote:
> James Oltman wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net
> > <mailto:nico at youplala.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 13:40 -0400, Josh White wrote:
> >      > My advice is to always stick with what you know. Whenever you change
> >      > distributions there is a learning curve that you might not be willing
> >      > to put the time into and will lead the frustration.
> >      >
> >      > Seconded.  Never try anything new.
> >
> >     hmm... never upgrade if it works..
> >
> >     While I agree with the learning cuve comment, trying something new is
> >     nearly always beneficial.
> >
> >     Now, moving your production system from one environment you know to an
> >     environment you do not know is probably a bad idea.
> >
> >     I believe that Mythbuntu is providing what the OP is looking for.
> >
> >     But I would recommend to initially play with Mythbuntu on the side
> >     first, and decide about the fate of the production system later.
> >
> >     The change will anyway involve time and efforts, as the 2 distributions
> >     mentioned have quite big differences in the way they do things.
> >
> >     Nico
> >

> > I'm having issues with MythBuntu right now.  The MCC (MythTV Control
> > Centre) is supposed to stop MythBackend before starting MCC.  It never
> > does that correctly.  It seems to be trying to stop the service
> > /usr/bin/mythbackend when the correct path is
> > /etc/initd/mythtv-backend.  I'm also having difficulty with the storage
> > directories.  I have the correct perms on the directories (cuz I can
> > record things) but MythTV-Setup is saying that it can't write to those
> > folders.  But, MythBuntu is awesome in that it recognized my PVR-x50
> > devices, and my HDHR without problems.  I had to setup a DHCP server on
> > my secondary NIC, but that was trivial.  It was also very easy to setup
> > a frontend with my MCE remote.  All in all, it's a good OS.  Just needs
> > a few more tweaks to make it perfect.
> >

> I recently added a Mythbuntu frontend box to my existing setup (combined
> backend and frontend which runs on Gentoo).  I must say that I'm
> extremely impressed with how easy it was to setup a frontend and get it
> working with minimal fuss.
>
> I have an MCE remote arriving soon for it - sounds like it will be just
> as easy to get that working :-)
>
> Robert.

I have used a variety of MCE remotes with my Mythbuntu setups and most
of them just work. Some though need extra work. You will need to plug in
the receiver and try it. If you have problems search the
ubuntuforums.org for the USB id. The newer usb ids will be in the next
Mythbuntu release.

Thanks,
James