[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu experiences?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Fri Aug 29 01:54:32 UTC 2008

spectro wrote:
> How is mythbuntu working these days?
>
> I have been using Knoppmyth for a long time and I would like to know
> since I am planning the upgrade to myth 0.21 (yeah, still running
> 0.20, it gets the job done)
>
> I don't need all the bells and whistles, I just need a distro that:
> - preintalls mythweb
> - preinstalls video streaming of recordings from mythweb
> - detects my PVR-150, 350 (with remote for frontend), HdHomerun and DVB-S
> - Preinstalls anything needed to export to h.264 without commercials
>
> So, for all this, is it worth for me to try mythbuntu or just take it
> "safe" and upgrade to latest knoppmyth?

Obviously lots of conflicting advice. My original mythtv setup started
out as KnoppMyth about 2 1/2 years ago. I moved to MythBuntu around 7
months ago, and after figuring out that there was just 'something' wrong
with HD playback in MythBuntu, and I never did figure out what that
something was, other than I continuously got playback 'glitches' that
were not in the recordings from my HDHR. I am now quite happily running
MythDora with zero issues. As for distro specific differences, yes there
are some, the MythBuntu Conrol Centre seems quite nice, but I am a hands
on guy and would rather do it myself. I personally don't have an issue
moving amongs distros, at work we have CentOS4, CentOS5, RHEL 4, Fedora
Core, some old Redhat machines, and a couple of Debian boxes, as well as
numerous flavours of Solaris. At home I used to be fully Ubuntu, but I
am now a Fedora convert.

So, a vote for MythDora here, but I agree that you would be best served
trying whatever you choose it on a spare machine, or dual boot with a
new hard drive, if you can, so you know it works the way you want it to.

Tom