[mythtv-users] Choppy HD playback via frontend, no problem when playing direct with XINE

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Aug 29 02:27:03 UTC 2008

On 08/28/2008 09:02 PM, Dmitry Shesterin wrote:
> When playing HD content through frontend video is being played back
> choppy, dropping a lot of frames, sound is not synched and often
> higher pitch.
> When I navigate to the recording directly and play it with xine, the
> files play nicely.
>
> Can you please recommend a solution to this problem?
>
> SD playback is not affected.
Sounds like you're trying to play back HDTV recordings with a 32kHz AC-3
track and you have AC-3 passthrough enabled.  That will not work with
nearly all PC sound cards available (they tend to only work with 48kHz
AC-3--and before you say, "It works in Windows," I'll say that Windows
drivers tend to recode the 32kHz AC-3 to 48kHz AC-3 before "passing"
through).

Mike