[mythtv-users] No reception or EIT for Channel 5 in Essex

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 09:38:54 UTC 2008

> >> Any suggestions as to what I might need to tweak?  Am I pointing at
> >> the wrong transmitter, I know C5 have a weak signal in some areas?

You may not be pointing at the best transmitter for digital
broadcasting in your area, or have an unsuitable aerial (presumably
you're using a roof mounted one?)

As I understand it some digital multiplexes broadcast outside the old
analog frequency range so an aerial designed for analog broadcasts may
not be suitable.  I read (on this list I think) that this is not the
case for the Crystal Palace transmitter in London but it may be true
for you.  It's also possible that the best transmitter for analog
reception in your area is not necessarily the best for digital.

It's worth working out which transmitter your aerial is pointing at.
There are various websites that give transmitter locations in the UK,
and GoogleMaps should allow you to deduce which one your aerial is
aimed at.  Then you should be able to google some of the DVB websites
and find out if others are having trouble with receiving that
multiplex from that transmitter.

An easier way would be to try and find out how your neighbours are
managing.  If they're OK then an aerial upgrade should sort you out.