[mythtv-users] WEIRD mythtv setup problem

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Aug 29 17:20:11 UTC 2008

On 08/04/2008 12:58 PM, fpikus wrote:

>  On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> >> G.A.N.T uses Arial (artist's choice, and all, so we shouldn't
> >> change it). If anything, we should change the default theme
> >> that's used.
> >
> > Turns out, though, that blue also uses Arial. And, since blue and
> > G.A.N.T are the only 2 (UI) themes provided with mythtv***, it
> > seems that MythTV requires MS core web fonts or a proper
> > font-substitution configuration (using, for example,
> > fontconfig--which, BTW, has always worked for me).
>
>  How do you set up the substitutions? The CentOS box, of course, had
>  fontconfig installed and aware of at least some of the fonts (without
>  fonts yumex would not run, complained about fontconfig not finding
>  fonts, now it does).

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I didn't want to become the guy
everyone asks when they can't figure out how to make font substitutions
work (as I'd rather spend my free time on MythTV stuff than fontconfig
stuff).  Anyway, it turns out that the Ubuntu packages are also using
font substitutions to allow them to use the ttf-liberation fonts.  So,
to see an example of how to do font substitutions, look up
/etc/fonts/conf.d/91-liberation.conf on an Ubuntu system (or just Google
91-liberation.conf and you'll find plenty of posted copies).

Mike