[mythtv-users] Only first channel available, changing channel not working

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Aug 30 14:47:19 UTC 2008

greg wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>> Dave M G wrote:
>>
>>> MythTV Users,
>>>
>>> I've got a fairly fresh installation of the most recent Mythbuntu up and
>>> running, on a computer that has a Hauppauge PVR-150.
>>>
>>> I've mostly succeeded in getting broadcast television to work. When I
>>> select to watch television, I get a clear video and audio signal.
>>>
>>> When I try to change channels, however, the on screen display shows the
>>> number changing, but the channel does not actually change. There isn't
>>> even any kind of flicker or pause indicating any attempt to switch a
>>> channel. The only thing changing is the channel number. Other than that,
>>> it stays on the first channel.
>>>
>>> In the mythbackend interface, I was able to scan for channels in my area
>>> (Japan broadcast) and it seemed to have detected the 11 or so channels
>>> that should be available.
>>>
>>> Since MythTV seems to be detecting the channels, I'm at a loss as to
>>> what to try next in order to diagnose the problem.
>>>
>>> Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.
>>>
>> Unless your PVR is actually broken this is most likely a setup problem.
>>
>> See if you can change channels outside of Myth to confirm the card is
>> working. If you happen to have a Windoze box you might even try the card
>> under that OS.
>>
>> Make sure you do not have anything specified as a channel change script.
>> Look at your startup log and make sure the tuner is correctly recognized
>> (Hauppauge used many different tuners in the same card). Make sure you
>> correctly selected the card type. Make sure you have selected the
>> correct channel map (off-air, cable-std, cable-HRC etc.).
>>
>> Look at your logs to see if there was an error when changing channels.
>> You may have to increase the log verbosity to see an error.
>>
>> beww
>>

> Along with Brian's suggestions,check to see if you selected the right
> card..It needs to be mpeg2 encoder. A lot of people make the mistake of
> making it an analog v4l capture card...
> Good luck

If he had done that I don't think he would even be getting the first
channel.

BTW - My suggestions assumed the OP is trying to use the RF input, not
the baseband inputs. Seems obvious, but often it's the obvious stuff
that gets you.

If he is connected to the baseband inputs then the symptoms would be normal.

beww