[mythtv-users] X2 5000 enough to play HD?

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 19:29:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>>> Try turning of Extra Audio Buffering in  Utilitis and Settings -> Setup ->
>>> Setting -> TV Settings -> Playback.
>>>
>>> you could also turn on Aggressive Sound Card Buffering in Utilities and
>>> Settings -> Setup -> Settings -> General
>>>
>>> I know for my setup I ended up having to turn on aggressive sound card
>>> buffering to get sound and playback right.
>>>
>> I am getting both video and sound stuttering.  I have tried the "Extra
>> Audio Buffering" settings, but I forgot about the "Aggressive Sound
>> Card Buffering".  I will try that next; but I suspect that side I see
>> the problems in the video too; the problem is more than just sound.
>
> I've flipped both "Extra Audio Buffering" and "Aggressive Sound Card
> Buffering" and still haven't gotten it to work (though I don't know if I
> tried setting them to off and on, respectively, so I'll try that later).
>
> Also, I've tested with 4 different sound cards (including 2
> non-integrated, PCI sound cards--and, yes, that means I've used 2
> different mobos).  Both of the PCI sound cards worked fine in my
> previous hardware, so I, too, am thinking it's not an audio issue
> (though I do realize that audio issues are often the cause of
> prebuffering pauses/video playback problems).

I've disabled the onboard soundcard in the BIOS, and MythTV ran well;
albeit without sound.  When I skip forward 10 minutes int an HD
recording, I am now getting smooth video.  Previously (with the
onboard-sound enabled), skipping 10 minutes in that same HD recording
resulted in severe HD audio and video stuttering.  This is even with
XvMC turned off.

Then; I decided to re-enable the soundcard in the BIOS, but set the
"Audio output device" to NULL in MythTV (Setup -> General -> Audio).
Same thing -- video playback smooth when audio is off.  When audio is
enabled; stuttering returns.

Conclusion - must be something to do with sound, whether it's drivers
or what, I don't know.  Going to play around with different settings,
including, possibly an external PCI sound card.  I know from reading
this thread that Michael has tried different soundcards... have you
tried setting it to NULL as a test?  You might be having different
problems than I am; though... I haven't been able to play enough of my
recordings yet to test out the network thing...