[mythtv-users] About h264

Glenn Sommer glemsom at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 19:45:58 UTC 2008

I'm trying to get mythtv 0.21-fixes to display a h264 stream as livetv
- but with no luck :/

mythtv is configured to use a "Network recorder" - and is pointing to
a local .m3u file.

To test with I have this stream: http://212.99.225.130:8000/h264/pro7

Putting that URL in a m3u file does not work for mythtv (I think
mythtv is unable to use the http protocol)?
Anyway - I re-stream it using VLC.
So my stream is on 127:0.0.1:1230 instead...

Mythtv can pickup that stream - but cannot play it very well!

If I then use "video as timebase" the sound and video is choppy - and
I get there errors: WriteAudio: buffer underrun

If I use "Enable OpenGL for vert sync" both video and sound is choppy
- and I get there errors: WriteAudio: buffer underrun

If I then re-encode the video stream to mpeg2 and audio to mp3 - then
it works fine.

When watching the stream mythfrontend uses about 8-10% CPU power (This
is on a E6850) - and VLC is using about 6% when just re-streaming...
and about 50-60% when both transcoding and streaming.

I've tested the exact same stream with VLC client and mplayer.... They
both play my re-streamed stream - and the http stream correct!

What could be causing this?

Kind regards
Glenn Sommer