[mythtv-users] OT: Need advice on an Aspire One as a MythTV Frontend

Marc Barrett mnealbarrett at cox.net
Sat Aug 30 20:23:15 UTC 2008

I got a really good deal on an Aspire One subnotebook PC.  I wanted
something small (close to the size of a portable DVD player) that I
could use as a portable MythTV frontend.  I ordered the version of that
has the 8GB solid-state drive, though, and not the one with the 120GB
hard drive.  (In hindsight, I probably should have gotten the 120GB
version, but I'm stuck now)  I don't actually have it yet (shipping was
delayed a bit, and I'll likely get it next week), but I'd like to make preparations.

What I plan to do, when I get it, is put a Mythbuntu installation on it. I don't
know if 8GB will be enough, though. So I'd appreciate advice from anyone
who also has one of these or something similar, about how I can get a bit
more space.  I thought about getting a high-speed SDHC card (8GB at least,
16GB would be nice), but I don't know if an SDHC card would be fast enough
for a Linux install to run from it.  I could also perhaps "off-load" part of the Linux
installation to my desktop backend, which has plenty of space (it has a
750GB drive).  My wireless router is just an 802.11G, though, and not one
of those fancy "pre-N" "WiMax" routers.

Any help in this would be appreciated.