[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 20:31:46 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 08/30/2008 03:00 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:
> > I have seen this many times and today my wife had an example.  She
> > said the remote wasn't working any more.  I came in from the garage
> > and it wasn't working. I put it down on the table.  Then myth suddenly
> > responded to at least some, if not all, of my key presses.  I tell the
> > story to give an idea of the time frames involved. She was just
> > watching a recorded show and wanted to pause it.
> >
> > This happens now and then, not every day, but it is not rate either.
> >
> > I have a HDHR with the IR Rx on it and a very powerful (high ir
> > output) programmable remote.  I am running LIRC on a mythbuntu 8.04
> > updated system.  When it works, it works instantly with no noticeable
> > delay.
> >
> > Any logs I can look in?  Anyone know what causes this?  A cure?
>
> Got a working real-time clock?  New kernels should be compiled without
> the rtc module and, instead, should use the rtc-core and an appropriate
> hardware-specific support (i.e. for PC's using rtc-cmos).  So, if you
> had previously configured your system to load rtc and it doesn't exist,
> now, and you haven't updated the configuration, it could cause problems
> like this.
>
> Run "hwclock --debug" and see if you get errors.  If so, try "modprobe
> rtc-cmos" and see if all ("hwclock --debug" and LIRC) works better.
>
> Mike

dad at myth_desktop:~$ hwclock --debug
hwclock from util-linux-ng 2.13.1
Using /dev interface to clock.
Last drift adjustment done at 1220111053 seconds after 1969
Last calibration done at 1220111053 seconds after 1969
Hardware clock is on UTC time
Assuming hardware clock is kept in UTC time.
Waiting for clock tick...
...got clock tick
Time read from Hardware Clock: 2008/08/30 20:30:20
Hw clock time : 2008/08/30 20:30:20 = 1220128220 seconds since 1969
Sat 30 Aug 2008 01:30:20 PM PDT  -0.045784 seconds

Looks OK to me.  Anything else I should try?

Allen