[mythtv-users] Trouble playing AC3-encoded recordings on analog audio

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 01:16:14 UTC 2008

I have recently set up a new MythTV box to replace an older one that
couldn't handle HD.  I've noticed that any files with an AC3 audio
stream have stutter and jumpiness; which dramatically increases after
using the skip forward or skip back functions in mythfrontend.

The thing is that I'm only using the stereo-out jacks, and not the
digital out features of my sound card.

I've read from some other threads that this HD choppiness might have
something to do with a 32kHz to 48kHz conversion that mythfrontend
does internally?  This might indeed be the case, because when I play
recordings directly from within xine, everything sounds and works
well.

If I disable the onboard sound card (in the BIOS), or set mythtv to
output to NULL, video is smooth (but obviously I can't gauge audio,
because there is none).  The problem persists when I changed the
soundcard to a PCI one.  It also persisted when I used the Mythbuntu
Live CD on completely different computer, a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 with
a Core2Duo.

Any ideas?

Here are the specs:

MythTV-0.21-fixes (from ATrpms)
Mythbuntu 8.04.1 (also tried with CentOS 5.2 and Fedora 9)
AMD Athlon 62 X2 5000+
2 GB RAM
GeForce 7200GS
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (AMD 780G)