[mythtv-users] Dual Boot? [OT]

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 04:30:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 7:06 AM, Ian Clark <mrrooster at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/8/27 Allen Edwards <allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com>
>
>> OT?
>> [snip]
>>
>> The problem I am having is that windows will not hibernate when called
>> from grub although it hibernates just fine if I change the boot order
>> in the bios and boot directly to the windows disk.
>

> If these are on seperate disks you could add linux to the windows boot menu
> to solve this?
>
> Under linux:
>
> # dd if=/dev/hda of=linux.bin bs=512 count=1
>
> (replace /dev/hda with your apropriate HD, prob /dev/sda if I've read the
> above correctly.)
>
> copy linux.bin to the root of your windows drive, then add the following to
> c:\boot.ini, which you can edit by right clicking on 'My Computer',
> selecting 'Properties', then the 'Advanced' tab, then 'Settings' in the
> 'Startup and Recovery' section at the bottom of that pane, then 'Edit'.
>
> Add the following to the bottom of the file:
>
> c:\linux.bin="Linux"
>
> and change/add the 'timeout=' line to something apropriate (or save the
> file, then use the spinner control in the properties page to do the same.)
>
> That /should/ allow you to boot your second HD from the windows menu (but
> then again it might not.)
>
> I've only ever done this with a different partition on the same drive but
> it should work, and you shouldn't damage anything by trying.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian

I finally got a chance to try this and no joy.  The above method, which I
think is correct, just produces a return to the boot menu when the Linux
option is selected.  Another method I read about used a program boootpart.
With that I got an error message about not being able to boot from the hard
disk.

I think my problem above is caused by both the Linux and Windows HDs being
set up to work as the primary disk.  I switch the disks in the BIOS to pick
which to boot from, or switch the hda and hdb in GRUB to boot to windows
from the linux boot loader.

As background, the reason to not just boot to windows from GRUB is that
windows will not suspend if the Linux loader was used to boot.

So, I think I need to reinstall Linux and tell it to install on the second
drive, with the system set up to boot from Windows, then tell it not to
overwrite the windows boot loader.

Any way to modify what I have to do this, or do I indeed need to reinstall?
Anything I should be careful of?

Allen