[mythtv-users] Motherboards: help me understand my choices

Nick Bright boberz at thewatch.org
Sun Aug 31 14:22:42 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> Mark Goldberg wrote:
>

>> I had a 6150 based motherboard that worked fine (M2NPV-VM, No longer made), but
>> all of these chips are somewhat dated and don't support Nvidia's
>> latest Hi Def features.
>> Their drivers for linux don't support those features yet either, but
>> the drivers are changing
>> pretty rapidly, so there's hope.
>>

> 6150 based boards are still available on the market, at least for Socket
> 939 processors:
>
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=A8N-LA-WB&cat=MBB
>
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=A8N-LA-PB&cat=MBB
>
> These appear to be former spares for HP systems (the BIOS is copyright
> by HP). I have had very good results with them, though I am not using
> them for Myth. I've got two of them with FX-60 dual-core CPUs.
>
> I like the 6150 on-board, with the possibility of upgrading the video
> with the PCI-Express 16X slot. The FX-60 is admittedly dated, but runs
> quite well.
>
> The 3 PCI slots are handy for PVRs as well.

I had a 6150 based board as my main PC a while back, and I was struck by
how overwhelmingly MEH the board was. Performance was just not what it
should have been, Disk I/O was slo, Memory performance was sub-par.
Overall the board was just very unimpressive. I don't remember the
specific model, but it was a Gigabyte board.

 - Nick